Thursday, July 31, 2008

i'm on Navy News!!!

I'm on the Navy News!!!! The editor of the Navy News have decided to interview me on my participation in Hokkien Opera, they get to noe it tru one of my superior . it was publish last mth but it took me juz today to update in my blog cos u noe la i busy wif wx coming over n my participation in street opera perf @ gcb.


tis is hw the front page look like



i was on pg 18.
the article goes like this:

The Singapore Arts Festival was held over the month of Jun and many artists from more than twenty countries were invited to perform in Singapore. While many of us may choose to hop onto the bandwagon of contemporary arts, Jenny Chan, Admin supervisor of Naval Personnel Department has chosen to take a step back in time with the traditional art of hokkien opera. 'I never thought that I will join the opera......although i enjoyed watching it with my mum when i was young and i continued to do so,' said jenny, who joined the Navy in 1999, Jenny was able to live out her passion for Hokkien Opera when a member of the troupe 爱心歌仔戏(Lovely Opera) in 2004.

During her time with the troupe, Jenny has participated in numerous performance both locally and overseas. 'in october 2006, our troupe was invited to Melbourne to participate in their International Chinese Culture Festival. We performed the Oriental Romeo and Juilet (梁山伯与祝英台)with my troupe leader as Liang Shan Bo and me as Zhu Ying Tai,' she shares.

Amongst the roles sh played, Jenny considers the role of Zhu Ying Tai closest to her heart. 'playing the role of zhu ying tai require me to change many costumes within a show timing and cry for half of the show.

there also part which requires the performers to display strong physical strength in action stunts. Some of these roles include shui xian in Wang Yuan Tang, a widow who seek revenge for her family. ' tis role requires me to fight and do all the kicks and splits on stage.'

Jenny attend rehersals twice a week on friday and Sundays. During the pre-production period, rehersals are held with an intensity if three to four times a week. In striking a balance between work and opera, Jenny feels there is similarity between the two.' in some, Navy or rather SAF and opera is the same, we bring out the core values of discipline, team work and loyalty. The only differences is that traditional hokkien opera also brings out the core values of filial piety. '

concluding this interview, Jenny extends her warm welcome to the Navy Family to catch her performances in the coming days. for more information, you visit her blog @ tw.myblog.yahoo.com/rene_80sg or email her @ rene80sg@gmail.com.

No comments: